I love chocolate and everything about it, the taste, smell and the ‘ahh that’s nice’ feeling when it melts in your mouth. Okay, I admit it I’m a chocoholic.
My love for chocolate has taken me on a quest to try everything chocolate and to find the best of the best. I have eaten in lots of coffee shops and dessert places but haven’t been able to find the perfect chocolate fudge cake – that is until now.
I have found my happiness in a plate and wanted to share it with you all. Below is a tried and tested recipe for a chocolate fudge cake, it is light, moist and has just the right amount of gooiness – you have got to try it.
Chocolate fudge cake
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs (separate the whites from the yolks)
- 2 tablespoons of coco powder
- ½ cup of oil
- ½ cup of hot water
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Chocolate fudge frosting
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons of coco powder
- 115 grams of butter
- 2 packets of Maltesers
Let’s get baking!
- Sieve flour, sugar, coco powder and 2 teaspoons of baking power two times.
- Add egg yolks, hot water, oil and vanilla essence to the flour mixture and stir until it becomes smooth.
- In a separate bowl add egg whites and 1 teaspoon baking powder and whisk until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coco mixture until it is all combined.
- Grease 2 round cake tins (8 inch) and split the mixture between the two tins.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 mins or until it is done.
Ice, Ice Baby – how to make the chocolate fudge frosting
- Heat the butter in the microwave until it is soft.
- Add the coco powder to the butter and mix until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the sieved icing sugar to the butter mixture and using an electric whisk, beat until it starts to combine. If the mixture is too thick add a small amount of warm milk. Keep beating until it is light and fluffy.
- Sandwich the two cakes with icing and then cover the top and sides.
- Using a star-shaped piping nozzle pipe swirls around the edge of the cake.
- Place Maltesers on the top of the cake and enjoy 🙂