Today is national pie day (23 January) a day to celebrate the humble pie. I want to join in this celebration and share my very own chicken pie recipe.
Before I start I have a random fact for you, did you know the first pie was created in 9500 BC by the Egyptians. I wonder what flavour pie was their favourite?
Chicken pie recipe
- 1 tablespoon on oil
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 onion grated
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon crushed green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 packet puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg
Part 1 – making the pie filling
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mince, water and onions. Allow it to cook on a medium heat stirring frequently to break up the lumps.
- Add the green chillies, garlic and salt and cook until it becomes dry. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled add the mayonnaise and cheese and mix well.
Part 2 – Bringing it all together
- Open you pastry sheet flat.
- Cut the pastry into squares, I tend to do 6 from a pastry sheet but it depends on how big you want your pies.
- Place a few spoonful’s of the filling in the centre of the party square.
- Brush the outside edge of with water, fold the pastry square in half and press down the edges. Repeat until you have used all of your filling.
- Place the pastries on a baking tray and brush with egg, cook on 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until the become golden brown.
I hope you enjoy these just as much as I do 🙂